Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Pink Ribbon Tea

What a fun way to raise money for Cancer Research! I had the honor of being the Mistress of Ceremonies for the Boone Pink Ribbon Tea on Saturday, Oct. 25. Shortly after I was asked to MC the event I found out that my mom had Stage II Breast Cancer. I have always been interested in this particular organization so I was thrilled that I had the chance to be involved. Cindy Bell organized and headed up the tea. She had a unique way of raising money for Cancer Research. She had experienced a similar event when she visited her sisters in Kentucky where the Govenor's wife had put together a "Tea" and then auctioned off hats! Instead of hats, we auctioned off purses! Every purse was full of extra goodies, too, including 2 tickets to the Broadway Series show, "Legally Blonde" playing here in Des Moines. There was also a lot of Mary Kay and Avon products tucked into these purses. I ended up leaving with two purses myself! They were just too cute to pass up! I am not sure how much money we raised, but it was a lot of fun! Originally we were only going to auction off 25 purses, but then Cindy Waterman, owner of the Iris Tea Room and one of our sponors, had put together 25 centerpiece purses that were just too cute to pack away again, so we auctioned those off as well! What I loved about all this is that all the purses, along with the items tucked inside, as well as all the tea, sandwiches, desserts, plates and all the services, were donated! So 100% of the proceeds go to Cancer Research! We had two speakers at the event. The first one was Carolyn Lehnus of Urbandale and she shared her survivor story. I learned a lot listening to her and hope that I can help my mom through her "journey" a little better now. The other speaker was Jo Myers-Walker of Gilbert. She gave a presentation on watercolors. Watercolors? you may ask. What do watercolors have to do with cancer? Jo has started offering classes at the hospital in Ames to cancer patients, family & friends as a way of healing as they go through cancer treatments. We are all artists, she says and after her presentation I agree with her. I think the event was a success and I look forward to doing more with the Relay for Life/Cancer Foundation of Boone!

No comments: